Wednesday, March 12, 2008

100th Post!

Oer this is my 100th post for this edition of my blog. How cool is that? Okay so it's pretty sad, but hey c'mon - I started blogging um, 3 years ago? I dunno.. I've managed to kill 1 blog, completely forget about my MySpace page, sometimes update my LiveJournal (and even then, that place is identical to this one simply because I copy paste and am too lazy to come up with something different to post!

Anyway, enough about me, lets talk about plants.

I'm hopeless at plants - no seriously - I look at them and they wither and die. The only plants I am successful at growing, and that is without any supervision whatsoever, are plants that people already have planted for me, or weeds. I'm good at weeds (plural, not weed you idiots). Ask Jay - How pretty was my backyard when it got all done up 2 years ago, and how er.. not pretty is it now? Sometimes it's pretty, it's strange - it grows grass in winter, and weeds in summer - it's kind of like it's making a deal that it'll look pretty when it wants to, and then compromise with shit awful ugly weeds in the summertime. The only bonus about that is if i let the weeds grow big enough, and then run them over with the lawnmower (which I did last weekend) all of the weeds will die until next summer. Pretty good deal if you ask me. Weed killer does not work in my garden, I have mutant weeds.

Anyway, B and I planted some plants today - we bought 4 punnets of seedlings, and stuck them into 3 seperate pots - one of each seedling per pot (3 seedlings per punnet) and then B planted some seeds that BigPong decided we needed. Not that I remember what they're called lol. Oh and I also found some half dead er... Idunnos..I think that's their species name.. but they're still growable so I'll give it a burl - if they drop dead oh wells, they cost me $0.50c so who cares right?

Anyway, here's the potted plants and the 4 punnets with the BigPong seeds in them



and here are the labels for the original punnets



I can actually tell the difference between all 4 of the plants I bought - I specifically bought 4 plants that look pretty, but are all different looking, just so I can look intelligent when people ask me what they are.

These guys are going into a mini garden I've decided I'm going to create outside my kitchen window. It might encourage me to stand at the sink more often if I can see something other than well.. weeds and rocks lol. I figure my hands will automatically start washing dishes by association if I'm just standing there admiring the view.

Oh, I also have some um.. what're those plants that are really good for summertime coz they don't need to be watered often? (No, not weeds, get lost).. I also have some of them in my backyard, and I know that they're easy to plant - Take some pieces off the already established bits, put in ground. It does the rest. No seriously, that's how i managed to actually grow some of the plants in my backyard. My landlady gave me a shopping bag (we do things classily in the western suburbs here) full of offcuts of the squishy plants that grow by sticking them in the ground.. and that's exactly what I did. So now, it's time to move some of them over to the other bit.

Yeah, I need a hobby. I suck at everything I do most days lol but maybe, just maybe, I wont suck too much at this.

(Didn't I say that last time?)
For Jay:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

those squishy plants you plant from offcuts wouldnt be similar to the yukka would it? :P how's your yukka going anyway? still alive??? if not.. we have PLENTY more where that one came from.. so let me know if you want some k? :P

muppet said...

nah not the yukka

more the fat leaf when you break it in half it has water inside it.. and not cactus either i can't think of what they're called

and yukka is still aliveya :D

but i might steal some more for my garden :D it looks like we're gonna be here for a long fucking time :/

Anonymous said...

hehe well we have plenty of yukka's... Next time i come over, remind me to bring some with me, k?

and i think the ones you are talking about are called succulants.. they are kinda like cactii.. but not prickly.. sorta like aloe vera plants etc.. very fleshy leaves etc..